Mystery surrounded the status of Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin 2 on Tuesday night – a fight that arguably would be boxing’s biggest bout of the year.
- Josh Norman upset with ‘two-hand tag’ direction of NFL
- Nightengale’s Notebook: Cardinals’ Adam Wainwright chases milestone in final season
- ‘I will be put out of my house’: Some Americans who struggled early in crisis are on brink, others find jobs
- More than 300 deer to be killed at a Wisconsin farm found to have ‘zombie deer disease’
- The Bachelorette star for 2019 is … (drumroll, please)
Alvarez’s promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions, told ESPN that he was walking away from the negotiating table, stating that “the Canelo train has left the station.”.
However, Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler told USA TODAY Sports he still was optimistic a fight could be made, and said that despite De La Hoya’s remarks, he remained in contact with Golden Boy president Eric Gomez.
“Oscar is kind of all over the place on this,” Loeffler said. “One day he is saying the fight is nearly made, then he is talking about putting Canelo in with (WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders) or Jacobs.
“I am talking to Eric and I am hoping we can come to a conclusion. It doesn’t seem to be too complicated, it is still the biggest fight out there for both guys.”.
With talks between Golden Boy and Loeffler having so far been unable to reach resolution, De La Hoya claimed he now would pursue a match between Alvarez and middleweight Daniel Jacobs on Sept. 15.
The ESPN report said that De La Hoya acted because of the refusal of the Golovkin camp to move off its demand for a 50-50 money split for the lucrative bout, which would be a repeat of the controversial draw between the pair last September.
Alvarez and Golovkin were supposed to square off again May 5, but the rematch was called off when Alvarez tested positive for the prohibited substance Clenbuterol and was banned for six months.
Both parties started working on talks for a September rematch. Meanwhile, Golovkin fought Vanes Martirosyan in May in order to stay sharp, and recorded a second round knockout.
The sticking point in the talks has been over the purse split. Golovkin’s annoyance at the cancellation of the first fight has prompted him to hold out for an equal share, whereas Alvarez took 65 percent of the money the first time around.
De La Hoya said that 50-50 is “not going to happen,” per ESPN.
Follow Rogers on Twitter @RogersJourno.